Sunday 24 October 2010

Crystal Castles - Leeds Met, October 2010

Unluckily I'll be unable to write a full review on this gig, as after 5-6 tracks I was dragged out and soon after taken to hospital in an ambulance. I was lucky enough to have Alice Glass herself come out to make sure I was okay, even if the first aid people ignored her. I was offered VIP tickets and a drink from her for the next gig, so hopefully then I'll get the chance to write a little more.

Health was the support act, and the original 'Crimewave' Crystal Castles track was by them, although Crystal Castles gave it their own touch. There was an hour wait until the band came on stage and the crowd exploded. Every expectation of their live performance was met, and more on top of that. Alice crawled onto the crowds heads and dangled above me as she sang. The claustrophobic atmosphere and all round roughness of the gig made it hard for anyone to come out without an injury, and unluckily for me I was the only one to be carted off in an ambulance. However, after meeting Alice through this it was completely worth it.

One of the main songs that stood out through my semi-consciousness was 'Baptism'. The crowd moved to the beat as the music seemed to pulse through everyone. Alice's live performance was unique, exciting and memorable, and Ethan held it all together by playing the music to accompany her. (Short video I took of 'Baptism' shown in this post).

I would recommend any Crystal Castles fan to go and see them, although it definitely isn't for the faint hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment