Friday 15 October 2010

I Blame Coco - Sheffield University, October 2010

As this was my third time seeing the band, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. The only negative thing about the set was the fact the rest of the crowd and I wanted more. The intimate venue for this gig also created a great atmosphere for everyone.

I Blame Coco started the set with 'Self Machine', one of their singles. This received a good response from the crowd and Coco stopped singing at one point to take in the fact that everyone was singing the song back to her. She looked slightly surprised by this and continued soon after with a smile on her face. As the set progressed Coco made her way around the stage, grabbed hands of the audience while singing and did her quirky dancing throughout each track. She also showed off her guitar skills for a couple of slower songs, making it evident that she's an all round performer, not just a distinctive sounding singer.

The entire band work well together and show great enthusiasm throughout every gig and every track, which is a very important factor as this way not all the attention is centred around Stings rebellious daughter.

The band finished with one of their most popular tracks 'Caesar' (which on the single features Robyn). This gained an awesome and lively reaction and the crowd as it was also their last song.

It was a shame that there was no encore from the band, as everyone waited where they were, expecting more. However, this gave me the chance to leave the venue and go round and find the band where I stood talking to the them for a while. They were all really friendly and Coco welcomed me with open arms, even offering me a cigarette. I had heard that she was quite shy, but with a can of Carlsberg in her hand (even after allegedly quitting drinking after a skull fracture) she was really talkative and happy to stand with me for quite a while. As there was also no one else there it gave me the opportunity to ask her a few prominent questions.

I asked her what it was like to be the daughter of a megastar, and if this made people make snap judgements about her. She told Insight Music that everyone is entitled to their own opinion of her, although from getting to know her she isn't like her dad or wanting the fame from being in his shadow. She also stated that she isn't a 'daddy's girl' at all. After previously being a model and actress, she has followed different ladders off her own back, without name dropping her father. A lot of people are actually surprised when they find out that she is Sting's offspring.

I asked her about her favourite gigs so far in the UK. She spoke about Evolution Festival in Newcastle (which was previously reviewed by Insight Music), and said she thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere there. She also joked about the fact someone threw a tennis ball on stage, and when she threw it back into the crowd it hit someone on the forehead and she struggled to continue the song after apologising for it due to embarrassment.

I Blame Coco are continuing their UK tour right now, and Coco is also doing small acoustic sets in Urban Outfitters stores. One of which will be in Leeds and Insight Music will provide a short review for that also. All the Urban Outfitters sets are completely free, so get check the dates and get yourselves down to the stores early to save disappointment!

1 comment:

  1. I was there!!! Shame I didn't get to meet her though :( We didn't know where to go

    ReplyDelete